Friday, April 25, 2008

I bought this Portuguese magazine about 15 years ago. At the time I did not know much about most of the best Disney artists, aside from a few of the Nine Old Men. So while I liked the cover, I did not pay very close attention to it.

It wasn't until I met John Canemaker in New York two weeks ago and he showed me the illustrations for his upcoming book on Joe Grant and Joe Ranft that I realized the obvious: this cover was created by Joe Grant. It is even signed in the top right corner. That was an embarassing but very enjoyable "Aha!" moment.

3 comments:

DisneyDave said...

Great illustration.

I believe Joe Grant was initially hired by Walt Disney because he could create great caricatures.

One of the first films Grant worked on was the 1933 short Mickey's Gala Premiere.

There is some speculation Grant also did work on the short Parade of the Award Nominees, which was shown at the 1932 Motion Picture Academy banquet (at which Walt Disney won his first two Academy statues), but so far this info is unconfirmed.

Andy Norton said...

I like the design of the actress (is it Greta Garbo?), see someone bent like that works well for the space of the illustration.
Excellent find. I hope you have some more work from Grant- his work is fascinating to look at.

Didier Ghez said...

Yes, it is Garbo.